Step by Step DIY Guide to Apply Ceramic Coating on your Car with simple and easy method.
Protecting the paint is the most effective method to keep a car in good condition and preserve its value. In the past, the process of applying ceramic coating was expensive. Today, ceramic coatings have become one of the hottest paint-protecting products in the cleaning-and-detailing services. Earlier, they were only intended for professionals, but the latest technologies have made the application of nano-ceramics a DIY project for the casual car enthusiast too.
Ensuring you do it correctly is essential as these coatings must be applied correctly, or you will end with a cluttered mess. Here is a short step-by-step guide to applying the ceramic coating to achieve the most effective results with lasting shine.
How to Apply Ceramic Coating on Car?
Car maintenance is messy, mainly when you clean up the surfaces, you have never done earlier, such as headlights splattered with bugs. Before you apply the ceramic coating to your vehicle, make sure to follow all the directions provided by the manufacturer.
You will need an even surface, like a driveway or garage floor. To do this, you will require a well-ventilated and shaded area to shield your vehicle from elements as the ceramic coating cures.
Here are the essentials you will need to keep your clothes and yourself clean:
- Long-sleeve shirt that protects your arms.
- Nitrile gloves to safeguard your hands.
- Mask to keep you from the inhalation of harmful fumes.
- Car Wash
- Wash mitt
- Clay bar
- Isopropyl alcohol spray
- Microfibre cloth
- Paper towels
- Polish and Wax
- Kit for ceramic coating
Step 1: Prepare
One of the most common misconceptions concerning ceramic coatings is that it enhances the surface by removing scratches, swirls as well as faded paint. This is a false claim.
Ceramic coatings are paint protectants that protect the paint surface. If the paint surface already has swirls and scratches, the ceramic coating will increase or magnify the damage rather than cover it up. Therefore, we highly recommend correcting the paint, prior to applying the ceramic coating.
In the application of a ceramic coating, the prep work involves:
- Cleansing the vehicle thoroughly to get rid of dirt, dust, and other contaminants present on the surface.
- Make use of a clay bar, clay mitt, or clay towel to get rid of any contaminants accumulated on the painting. If the paintwork is brand new or is in good condition, you won’t have to clay or alter the paintwork prior to applying.
- Polishing and correction of paint.
Step 2: IPA cleaning
IPA is the Isopropyl Alcohol. It is an excellent solution for removing cleaning chemicals and polishing oil from the body of your car. It is not the typical IPA that you can find in the medical stores, but an exclusive nano-based IPA solvent that comes with the ability to de-grease.
Because ceramic coatings are made of nanotechnology, you must utilize nano-based IPA cleaners to remove all polishing oil to facilitate proper bonding of the ceramic coat.
Step 3: Application of Ceramic Coating
After the preparation and the pre-wipe cleansing is done, you can begin applying the ceramic coat. But, prior to proceeding, once again make sure the application area is thoroughly clean. If even a tiny amount of dirt gets stuck to the paint while applying the ceramic coating, it will bind to the coating. Additionally, buy high-quality ceramic coatings for long-lasting results. Also, ensure that the ideal temperature is about 21 to 28º centigrade, and the humidity is less than 50 %.
You may also like: How long does ceramic Coating last?
The application steps are as follows:
- Shake the bottle thoroughly prior to use.
- Wrap the applicator sponge all around with the fabric.
- As directed, dab a few drops of ceramic coating compound on the sponge.
- Apply the coating in a small area. Apply the coating in a criss-cross design, first horizontally and then vertically. It will ensure that no place is left uncoated.
- Next, wait for approximately 1 to 5 minutes, depending on the temperature, until you see bubbles.
- Now, gently remove the excess and level the vehicle surface with the microfiber cloth.
- Repeat in smaller sections until the car is completely covered.
- After coating the vehicle, allow the product to cure over 24 hours within a closed space, without moving the vehicle.
Tips to Apply Ceramic Coating
- Make use of separate microfiber towels to level and buffing.
- Continue to flip the microfibers across different sides as you move through the vehicle.
- Take a trip section-by-section, inspecting every part of your vehicle.
- Stay clear of exposure to chemicals and water for a couple of days.
- Make sure that area is completely clean and free of trapped debris. This way, the coating will create a perfectly flat layer on top of the clear coat, establishing a solid shield of protection for the surface.
- Before applying the ceramic coat, repair all the imperfections to the paint or clear coat.
- Use a larger sponge and microfiber cloths to more quickly and effectively apply the coating to large areas.
You may also like:
Ceramic Coating Application- FAQs
The coating is subjected to a phase of crystallization. After fully cured, it gives fantastic properties such as hydrophobicity, shine, and luster. It also shields against UV rays, color fade as well as other environmental dangers.