Windshield wipers are a necessity when driving in the rain. Not only do windshield wipers keep your windshield clear of water, but they also help you see better on the road ahead.
If windshield wipers skip across a windshield, it is important to understand why this happens and what can be done about it. In this post, we will discuss the reasons for skipping windshield wipers and how to fix these issues!
Before we dive in, let’s know Why do Windshield Wipers Skip (in short):
If your new windshield wipers are skipping, it can be because of the following reason(s):
- A faulty windshield wiper motor
- Worn-out windshield wiper blades
- Dried rubber on the windshield wipers themselves
My Windshield Wiper is Skipping (What to do?)
If your windshield wipers are not performing adequately or they skip, streak, or even fall apart, it is essential to diagnose the issue and fix it quickly. There may be many reasons for windshield wipers skipping.
Let us discuss a few steps that you can take to identify the reason for skipping windshield wipers. Next, you can take the necessary measures to correct the problem.
1. Clean the Windshield
By cleaning the windshield, you can prevent skipping. This is the best way to start troubleshooting the problem and fix it. It will clean the debris on the windshield and solve the problem quickly and easily. Make sure you lift the wiper arms while cleaning. This will allow you to clean the areas where they rest on the glass.
2. Clean the Wiper Blades
Once you have cleaned the windshield, make sure to clean the wiper blades also.
3. Inspect the Wiper Blades
Inspect the wiper blades for any noticeable wear. Please make sure the angle of the wipers is correct and that they are properly installed. If the blade is not flat against the glass, it indicates an issue with installation.
It is elementary and straightforward to diagnose a skipping windshield wiper. By cleaning your wipers and windshield regularly, you can prevent any buildup. If the skipping continues after cleaning the blade and window, you may need new blades.
Tips to Prevent Windshield Wiper Skipping
Here are few simple tips to stop windshield wipers from skipping:
- Use windshield wiper grease. The rubber could be dry.
- If you don’t have the time and energy to clean the wiper blade, make sure it is at the right angle. If the blade appears distorted, it is best to replace the arms.
- Use clay to clean the stained windshield. You can purchase a clay bar or clay lubricant at your local auto shop. Make sure to follow the directions written on the package.
Why is the Wiper Not Making Contact with the Windshield?
This could be because of worn-out wiper blades or newly bought wipers. However, there may be other causes, such as:
- The spring that holds the wiper’s blade to the windscreen may have been accidentally detached or blown out. Check the wiper for any loose springs.
- You might want to reconsider the new wiper blade that you purchased. Sometimes, people get one that isn’t compatible with their vehicle’s model. Double-check to make sure you have the correct one for your vehicle.
- If none of these reasons apply to your situation, it could be that the wiper’s arm has been damaged over time.
How Do You Fix a Stuttering Windshield Wiper?
Similar to pinpointing the problem with windshield wipers skipping, there isn’t always one solution to fix windshield wipers. First, identify the problem. After identifying the problem, there are usually three options available:
- Clean the wiper blades
- Replace the rubber
- Replace entire wiper
How to Clean Windshield Wiper Blades?
Since windshield wipers do the cleaning, it makes sense to clean them. It is worth cleaning the wiper arm as well as the area where the wiper blades rest on your windshield. It will extend the life of your windshield wiper blades from six months to one year.
- You can use warm soapy water, rags, and rubbing alcohol to clean.
- Take the wiper arm from the windshield. Use warm soapy water to clean the blades. Be careful not to damage the rubber blade or wiper arm.
- After wiping them clean, apply a little rubbing alcohol to the rag to remove any soap residue.
- You can buy a specific wiper cleaner, but soapy water also works most of the time.
Cleaning Wiper Blades With Wd40
- Lift the wiper blades in a locking position to make the cleaning process more manageable. You can also remove the wiper blades completely.
- Spray WD40 Specialist Silicone Lubricant Spray on a microfiber towel. Next, run the towel along the rubber section on the first wiper blade. To stabilize the microfiber towel, you should hold it in one hand and the wiper blade in the other.
- Repeat this motion several times to ensure that the rubber is clean and free of dirt and grime. This is crucial as you won’t be able to remove all contaminants in one swipe. After this step is completed, you can move on to the next blade.
- Make sure to clean the rear windshield wiper blade. After all wiper blades are cleaned, inspect them visually. You can also rub your fingers on the rubber section to check it. If you feel bumps or imperfections, repeat the cleaning process.
Why My New Bosch Wiper Blades Skip?
There are no special remedies for smearing windshield wiper blades. Ensure your windshield is clean and clear of dirt, dust, or debris. You should not use your wipers when the windshield is dry. The windshield should be wet enough to allow the wiper blades to run smoothly. This can lead to skipping and squeaky wipers.
To eliminate streaks and smears, clean your wiper blades using washer solvent or water. Your windshield glass treatment may cause the wipers to squeak, skip or vibrate. Remove any glass treatment from your windshield if this happens.
Make sure you check the blades of your wipers to ensure they are in good condition. If your windshield wipers start to split, it is time to replace them. Splitting will only make things worse, resulting in poor wiping performance during rain, snow, or ice driving conditions.
You may also like:
- How Often Do You Need Service Your Car?
- Reason Behind Getting Your Car Keyed
- How Many Spark Plugs Does A Diesel Have?
- 3 Reasons Why Are Dodge Grand Caravans So Cheap?
If you are diagnosing the “why do wiper skip” problem, make sure to clean the glass and wipe the wiper clean? You can take care of the wipers yourself, whether it’s for cleaning and maintenance or to replace the entire wiper. Although it can seem daunting to replace your wiper blades, once you have done it once, you will find it simple and cost-effective.